List:       crux
Subject:    wishlist
From:       Daniel Mueller <danm () gmx ! li>
Date:       2002-06-29 22:06:18

Hi all,

I'm using crux a long time now. After hundreds ;) of installations I
found some issues. Here is my wishlist for the next crux release:

1.)

New file: /etc/rc.boot

Must run before rc.multi.

Why ?
- Load pcmcia cardmanager for network support (important for the network
  initialization)
- Load third party kernel modules (e.g. Nvidia driver)
- Load usbmanager (keyboard, mouse, usb-storage devices, ..)
- Mount encrypted filesystems and/or special external storage devices

2.)

/etc/passwd
/etc/group

I think it would be a good idea to add more (well known) user in
/etc/passwd respective /etc/group.

/etc/passwd

httpd (www, wwwuser, ..) - Webservice, http daemon
sql (mysql, postgres, database, ...) - Database daemons like mysql
proxy (squid, ?) - Proxyserver
news (ins, ..) - News daemon
named (bind, djbdns, ..) - DNS service, bind daemon
sshd (openssh) - special user for privilege separation
lp (lpr, cups) - printer daemon
irc (ircd) - irc server daemon
snmp (net-snmp) - snmp daemons
..

The uid of "nobody" should be 65534. (Important for nfs)

/etc/group

www
sql
proxy
news
named
sshd
lp
irc
snmp
audio - audio device access
video - video4linux device access; DRI (3D) access
cdwrite - cd burner
xok - XUser
dialout - modem user
nogroup - with gid 65534 (nfs ;-)
..

Why ? Some software products shouldn't run as uid root nor nobody. It
would be very useful for packagers. (and +4k size does not hurt ;)

3.)

rc-scripts

Okay.. crux hasn't a System-V style init concept, well - but I don't
like the if/elif/fi thingie:

--------snip----------
if [ "$1" = "start" ]; then
    [bla bla]
elif [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then
    [bla bla]
fi
--------snap----------

"case" looks nice and more clearly.

--------snip----------
case "$1" in
	start)
		[bla bla]
		;;
	stop)
		[bla bla]
		;;
	*)
		[bla bla]
		exit 1
		;;
esac
--------snap----------

A new section called "restart" would be nice too.

4.)

/etc/devfsd.conf

Some entries of my current devfsd.conf:

--------snip----------
# DVD - create symlink /dev/dvd --> /dev/cdroms/cdrom2
REGISTER    ^cdroms/cdrom2$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname dvd
UNREGISTER  ^cdroms/cdrom2$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dvd

# Soundsupport - set permanent file permissions
REGISTER        sound/.*        PERMISSIONS root.audio 660
REGISTER        snd/.*          PERMISSIONS root.audio 660

# cdwriter, dvd and cdrom
REGISTER	scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/generic PERMISSIONS
root.cdwrite 660

REGISTER	scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/generic PERMISSIONS
root.cdwrite 660

REGISTER        scsi/host0/bus0/target6/lun0/generic PERMISSIONS
root.cdwrite 660

# TV card
REGISTER        v4l/.*        PERMISSIONS root.video 660

One of the most frequently asked question in #crux is: After restarting
the system all my settings in /dev are lost - Why ?

--> FAQ ? - Predefined ? - Howto ;) ?

What do YOU think ?

bye danm

Daniel Mueller