List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Do we need a new package utility?
From:       Mike MacLeod <mikem () ns ! sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2002-06-20 18:25:47

Jahannes

    First off, before I start putting my foot in my mouth, realize that
I have never used debien, so I've never used apt-get, and I haven't used
redhat since 6.2, and I had a winmodem, so I couldn't get new rpms, I've
never used mandrake, or SuSE, so I can't even talk about that package
tools they use. So when you say an 'apt-get' like tool, I can only make
an educated guess as to what this really means.
    Now then, onto the main text. I realize that much of the
 funtionality I mentioned in my last email would be easy to code, or
would reuse a lot of code already used for other features, but I see
this as a good thing. I think we should avoid having the new utility ask
too many questions though. I think most CRUX users (myself at least)
would rather enter in a command, see what dependencies are going to be
installed, and then entering another and seeing it done, rather then
having it ask us all the time. When I'm about to compile glibc, xfree86,
or some other large compilation, I like to just enter a command and go
have a milkshake and enjoy a walk. Even if it only asks these questions
right away, I still think it would fit the CRUX philosophy to keep
things even simpler. Simpler, not necessarily easier, in a user-friendly
sort of fashion.
    I like your 'rollback' idea, and think it should definetly be part
of any new utility that we build.
    The reason I said that the pkgfiles should list all the dependencies
is because someone else mentioned previously in a thread (I don't really
feel like checking to see who right now) said that they only included
the dependencies in contrib and unofficial in their pkgfiles. This
wouldn't really work for me, since I don't tend to install everything
from base and opt, and I think presuming that CRUX users install
everything from base and opt is foolish if we intend to use the listed
dependencies to install large applications.
    I don't know the details of your repository system, but I think that
we should work with the current ports tree in CRUX. This new utility
should simplify the task of building large packages and applications,
and I think that having a completely seperate repository or
organizational system would destroy much of this simplicity. The issue
of ports that are too specific for the unofficial tree is something that
I don't think the new utility (at least the one I have in mind) should
solve.
    I think it's just a bit early to get rid of the ports tree, because
this means that users are limited to whichever repository they decide to
use as the base for their system, which removes some (or all) of the
flexibility of CRUX that makes it great (at least if I understand what
you mean by your repositories).
    I think that requiring users to have python installed would also be
detrimental to the flexibility and functionality of the utility.
    To sum up, your utility might be useful, but I think (and I've been
saying that throughout here to emphasize that this is a personal
opinion) that we need a utility specifically designed to work within the
tools and system that CRUX already has in place, one that will pick up
where pkgmk leaves off, and that will compliment, rather then compete
with the pkgutils we already have. This utility (should it ever actually
happen) should be such that Per will want to release 0.94 just so he can
showcase the wonder of the pkgutil that the community built *smiles*.

Mike MacLeod