List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Errors during Compilation
From:       Markus Ackermann <maol () symlink ! ch>
Date:       2002-06-18 19:12:11

First a note about dependencies in the base and opt sections: I gathered
from various comments that all base and opt ports should be installed, and
no dependencies into the base and opt tree noted. So we're simply talking
about deps between contrib and unofficial ports.

On Wed 19.06.2002,  2:04:11 +0800, Mick Gards said in public:
>alternatively, if the answer is "no", that is, the Pkgfiles should do their
>job and remain largely unseen, unless there is a specific need to change a
>particular package, then perhaps, seeing as a large part of this discussion
>has been on the dependency checking issue, a simple line could be added to
>the Pkgfile
>
>depends=( package1, package2 )

Most (or even all) maintainers and packagers use the header line
# Dependencies: p1, p2, ...
for this.

>and then pkgmk could just print this out, before, or after the build( ), such
>as:
>
>--- Remember: Package X depends on: package1, package2
>--- You will need to build this package correctly

That'd be nice. For this to work we'd probably make it an array like the
source=() array.

>would be to alert the user to the required dependencies, but not actually do
>the installation for him/her. i understand at the moment a #depends line is
>used by most package maintainers, but even so, this brings us back to the
>first question, should users really be referring to these files everytime
>they expect to build a port/package.

My opinion is that users shouldn't need to look at the Pkgfiles, unless it
returns an error. Then it's in their own interest to find out how to fix it.

Markus.

PS: I'm thinking about writing a script that looks at the # Dependencies:
line before compiling the ports. Like apt-get for CRUX you'll be able to
simply tell it 'prt-get gnome-config' and it'll install all required ports.
Although I don't see that be done anytime soon due to lack of time.