List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Errors during Compilation
From:       Markus Ackermann <maol () symlink ! ch>
Date:       2002-06-17 6:02:40

On Sun 16.06.2002, 18:12:26 -0600, Andrew Green said in public:
>You totally misunderstood my idea.  Here is a script with a fake Pkgfile
>that executes _exactly_ what I'm talking about.

Hmm you're right, I didn't see the point.

>        case $RET in
>                1) echo "First not found: $RET"; touch testfile;;
>                2) echo "Second not found: $RET"; cp testfile testfile2;;
>                3) echo "Third file not found: $RET"; cp testfile2
>testfile3;;
>                *) echo "Fourth file not found: $RET"; rm testfile*;;

Now with this solution we'd have to find a fixed set of possible return
codes and their matching texts, hoping that we won't stumble over a
situation where we want yet another return message... or we specify the
error text in the build function, thus making it even uglier. Not to mention
that every maintainer will have his own set of custom errmsgs, which might
confuse users a lot.

Markus.