List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Pkgfile.local sucks(?)
From:       Jack Tonkin <lists () tonkin ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-13 20:44:14

On 13 Jun 2002, Colin Tree wrote:

> Hi,

Hey!

> It seems that I started using /usr/ports/local for developing my new
> ports or modifying existing ports a while before it was discussed. One
> problem I'm running into is the rest of the tree updates leaving my
> local ports as older versions.

I think Per's point was slightly more subtle:  If you want to make a minor
change to a package you can write a Pkgfile in ~/ports/name (or wherever)
that looks something like this

source /usr/ports/opt/name/Pkgfile

build(){
	cd $name-$version
}

This does make recursive builds/upgrades rather more difficult (although
the Pkgfile.local broke this sort of thing too), but works well with the
existing ports and pkgutils programs.  Exactly the clear, simple thinking
that attracted me to CRUX in the first place :)

> Another is some dependencies are older than existing packages, ie
> Evolution, requiring me to have 2 versions of a prog installed over each
> other e.g.db3 & db4 are now both needed on my system.

I think db4 is supposed to be 100% compatible with db3... at least as far
as applicatins are concerned (see www.sleepycat.com).  It is rather
unfortunate that none of the gnome 1.4 packages recognise it.  You could
try looking at the Pkgfile for config/gnome-libs (I think it edits the
configure script).  Admittedly I've given up on ever having the patience
to build gnome from source...

Jack