List:       crux
Subject:    Re: RPM CRUX
From:       Håvard_Moen <vanilje () netcom ! no>
Date:       2002-05-05 20:33:56

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Victor wrote:
[snip]

> Well, one of the easiest things it adds is the srpm. In a binary package,
> the process goes something like this:
> Source -> Pkgfile -> Build Source -> Binary PKG
>
> In RPM, it goes like this:
> Source -> Specfile -> SRPM -> Build SRPM -> Binary PKG
>
> What I like is the SRPM that allows effortless rebuilds without the first
> step.
> That is you get Source but without worrying about patches, configs, etc, all
> in one little package, ready to be compiled with a simple command for
> whatever architecture you want.
>
> The easiest way is to try to make a package with both systems and see how
> you like it. I can give you a pkgfile and a spec file and you can try and
> see how you like it.

hmm. It doesn't sound like much difference for end user to me. But on the
other hand, that easy change of installation paths, targets and so on
sounds nice. If nothing else, perhaps rpmCrux can cleanse the bad
reputation rpm has gotten from those bloated monsters Redhat, Mandrake and
Suse. I say, give it a shot, if nothing else, we have yet another distro
to choose from :-)

Regards Håvard