List:       crux
Subject:    Automated Upgrade
From:       Markus Ackermann <maol () symlink ! ch>
Date:       2002-04-15 16:44:03

Hi Cruxer,

I've been thinking about writing an automated upgrade script for CRUX's
ports quite a while, the current upgrade from 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 has given
enough reasons to finally do it...

prtupdate [0] asks 'ports -d' about the list of changed ports (requires at
least ports 0.5) and then goes through all of them, running 'pkgmk -d -u'.
Given the option '-n' it doesn't change anything - useful to find out which
ports it would upgrade.

On my PIII 550MHz on a 512KBit/s line it took just about 5h to upgrade a
normal 0.9.2 system to 0.9.3. The only problem was that lilo upgraded some
files in /boot - you have to rerun lilo after the upgrade. Or mark the boot
directory in /etc/pkgadd.conf.

To clean up the /var/lib/pkg/rejected directory I've written another script,
prtrej [1], which uses opt/dialog to show you a diff and then ask you if it
should copy the rejected file over the original, remove the rejected file,
or do nothing. Note: you might want to let pkgadd overwrite files in
/etc/X11 and /etc/mail (excluding /etc/X11/XF86Config and the files you've
changed in /etc/mail). Check your settings in /etc/pkgadd.conf and read the
fine handbook [2] Per has written.

Let me know if my scripts behave as expected - I'll fix the most obvious
bugs immediately :-)

Markus.

[0]: http://crux.lugs.ch/files/prtupdate
[1]: http://crux.lugs.ch/files/prtrej