List:       courier-users
Subject:    Re: [courier-users] Courier IMAP vs. JavaMail client - issue with closing connections
From:       Sam Varshavchik <mrsam () courier-mta ! com>
Date:       2020-07-14 11:02:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Greg Earle writes:

> How do I find out which side isn't doing what it should be to close the
> connection properly?  (Naturally, SolarWinds claims their side isn't at
> fault.)
>
> Is there any way in Courier to do low-level IMAP connection debugging on a
> particular connection/host?

Set IMAPDEBUGFILE in the imapd config file, and create a 0-length file of
the same name in the Maildir.

But first, check how many concurrent connections get opened. Default
MAXPERIP is 4, so a maximum of 4 connections get accepted from the same IP
address. If the client keeps creating new connections, any ones over the
limit result in new connections getting dropped immediately.

And when there are multiple connections, all of them will write to
IMAPDEBUGFILE, likely making its contents useless.