List:       courier-users
Subject:    [courier-users] dot-courier case sensitivity
From:       Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-courier () fmp ! com>
Date:       2012-09-19 21:59:07

[I sent this previously, however the subject was mis-typed and
mis-leading.  This problem concerns case sensitivity in dot-courier
files, so I've re-sent it under a more appropriate title.  Apologies for
the re-post, but I have people complaining to me and I'm eager for an
answer.]

For some time (years!) I've been using the alias directory in virtual
mail accounts to provide redirection to mailing lists for customers.
Sam has told me that this is unconventional, but it works perfectly.

I recently started moving all my company's services to a new server,
running courier-0.66.1 (the previous servers ran v0.64.0) and mailing
list managers have noticed that aliases are now case sensitive, whereas
the were not previously.  Regular mailboxes are still case insensitive,
but if I have an alias, defined by
~vmail/domains/fmp.com/alias/.courier-foo, mail addressed to foo@fmp.com
will be redirected according to the directions in .courier-foo, but mail
addressed to Foo@fmp.com will be refused by the new server.

Is this a bug?  A feature?  Is there some way to restore the previous
case insensitive behavior of this facility?

The Courier installation on the new server is part of Ubuntu Server
12.04 LTS (latest OS install), but is an old version of Courier, as
seems to always be the case.  Perhaps this has been addressed in a newer
version.  I can download the source and build Courier from scratch, as
I've done many times, but I'm lazy and prefer to install from packages
if they work as expected ;)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Never expect the people who caused a problem
FMP Computer Services |  to solve it." - Albert Einstein