List:       courier-users
Subject:    Re: [courier-users] RES:  Courier Backup / replication point
From:       gordan () bobich ! net
Date:       2007-11-26 10:26:02

This sounds very much like a re-invention of a wheel. If you need
high-availability and load sharing on your mail system, then cluster the
servers properly and set up a GFS file system on top of a SAN or if you
don't have a SAN, on top of a DRDB. I have recently deployed just such a
system. I cannot see any advantage to lifting this functionality up to the
application level when a more generic solution already exists.

If you want to also share the root file system, look at the "Open Shared
Root" project. If you don't want to do it based on SAN/DRDB and GFS, you
can do it all based on NAS/NFS, but that still leaves you a single point
of failure (NAS appliance, unless that is mirrored using something like
NBD (cold spare) or DRDB (hot spare)).

Gordan