List:       courier-users
Subject:    Re: [courier-users] freemail bofh setting not working for gmail.c	om
From:       Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey () BUC ! com>
Date:       2006-06-29 13:00:49

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Derrick T. Woolworth writes:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have an installation of Courier that is a "bit" old, and while
> > talking to serveral different mail servers, I'm getting messages
> > like:
> >
> > 454 TLS not available
> >
> > and then the message is deferred, forever.
> >
> > I have looked at the settings in esmtp-ssl and checked to make
> > sure the system's certificates are readable by Courier, among many
> > other things, but still I can't stop this message.   I have turned
> > off TLS completely - assuming that the mail server its talking to
> > would allow a non-TLS message to be delivered.
> >
> > Also, I have telneted on port 25 from this mail server to the
> > target mail server and had no issue in delivering e-mail to the
> > intended recipient.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with this error or have any advice on
> > where I should begin to look?
>
> Look at the moron you're sending mail to.  His mail server claims
> support for encrypted connection, yet when Courier calls his bluff,
> it vomits all over itself.  The error message you're seeing is the
> remote server croaking after it's ordered to begin encryption.

And the workaround for the problem is to tell Courier not to use
encryption for those domains.

Put a line like this in your esmtproutes file:

problemdomain.com: /SECURITY=NONE

I have accumulated quite a few of these.  Exchange is apparently a
frequent contributor to this problem.

Look for esmtproutes in the courier man page for more info.

--
Bowie