List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: [CGUYS] Power Supply.. weight=robust?
From:       Tom Piwowar <tjp () TJPA ! COM>
Date:       2008-10-30 22:02:10

>I have been purchasing replacement aftermarket power supplies and noticed
>that the new one (450w) is about half the weight of the one being replaced
>(150-200W).  I am worried that the new power supply does not offer as much
>protection for the motherboard and components... should I worry?

The new lighter power supplies will certainly provide less protection in
a high wind. Maybe you can attach lead weights to the case?

New power supplies are much more sophisticated. Many bulky/heavy
components are no longer used. Supplies operate over a wide range of
voltages and provide a constant output. Protection for the motherboard
and components may actually be better.