List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Windows Defender vs SpyBot Search & Destroy
From:       Jeff Wright <gocatgo () COMCAST ! NET>
Date:       2007-08-30 11:56:03

Yes, that is what I am saying.  Malware uses the existing rights of the user
to do its deed.  Running as an admin, gives malware admin rights to the
machine and thus, no limitations.  Running as a lower-permission user denies
malware the rights it needs to install and propagate itself.

Non-honorware self-installs without interaction with the user.  The "e-card"
Trojan circulating is an example of honorware.  You have to fall for the
ruse, go to the web site linked in the message, download the executable and
install it all yourself.  Once that's done, it then uses your PC as a spam
zombie or installs a keylogger to get login credentials for banks and such.

Some legitimate programs won't run unless you are the admin, which is the
result of sloppy and/or lazy coding.  That MS made Windows install the user
as the default admin was just an act of galactic-sized stupidity on their
part.  They have corrected that to a point, but not completely, in Vista.

* Need more help? Send mail to: ComputerGuys-L-Request@listserv.aol.com