List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Advice on Mac for very senior citizen
From:       Michael Lewis <michael () OFFBALANCE ! COM>
Date:       2007-04-30 16:59:52

Andy Gallant sez:

>A very senior citizen (92 years young) asked me to help him get and set
>up a Mac mainly to use the web.  His vision is somewhat impaired
>(cataracts) and his hearing isn't what it used to be.  We're looking at
>the 17 inch or 20 inch iMac.  Does anyone have experience or advice to
>share?  Also, any suggestions on a printer would be welcome - useability
>is important.  Thanks in advance.
>
>-Andy Gallant

Ensure you go into Universal Access in the System Preferences and turn
on or set any assistive settings he will need. A few that come to mind
might be:

Seeing/Voiceover: a number of things that will speak text to him. You
can turn off all the navigation ones and leave on, for example, just
speaking text his mouse is hovering over.

Seeing/Zoom: turn this on. If you go to the Keyboard & Mouse panel, you
can click the checkbox to Zoom using the scroll wheel while holding a
key you choose (I have selected Control). IT works whether or not Zoom
is turned on in Universal Access.

Mouse: You can change the mouse cursor size here so he can see the mouse
pointer better if necessary.

Also, ensure that he knows he can highlight text in most programs (Mail,
Safari, etc.) then go to the menu under:

Program Name >  Services > Speech > Start Speaking Text

The computer will read the highlighted text to him.

It may be possible to get some software (I can help you look some up if
you want) to assign Start Speaking Text and Stop Speaking Text to a
function key which you could label for him.

Also, I would suggest getting a USB headset which he could use to help
hear with. You don't mention if he has hearing aids, which would require
an earphone that could reach the hearing aid if it is the over-the-ear style.

--
Michael Lewis
Off Balance Productions

* Need more help? Send mail to: ComputerGuys-L-Request@listserv.aol.com