List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Power supply question
From:       Brian Jones <WJones27 () CAROLINA ! RR ! COM>
Date:       2006-10-27 15:36:24

REVIVING LAST WEEKS THREAD:
    It seems that the focus has been on hardware and power issues....
BSOD's are often the result of a corrupted registry and a poorly written
device driver that cannot deal with impure registry entries.

    When you installed a new HDD, did you perform a 'clean install' and
obtained the latest device drivers from Dell?  Get all the MS Security
updates before surfing the internet to non-MS  and non-Dell sites.    Since
you now have a spare HDD, you can swap out your drive C: and try this on the
spare HDD.  Use it like this for a few days to see if the problem has gone
away.    If you simply copied the old drive to the new drive, then you may
have copied the bug along with it!

    Another source of BSOD's is heat related issues.  An important bit may
be dropped when the system reaches peak operating temperature.  To test
this, open your case, and have a table fan blowing across the motherboard.

    I will be traveling the rest of the day, so please direct questions
about this to others in this forum.

   - Brian

> I'm one of the people who've been having numerous problems with my Dell
> Dimension computer that is about 1 1/2 yrs old.  Sudden BSOD's, lock
> ups, programs closing on their own, slow behavior.  I've tried swapping
> RAM, adding RAM, put a new HD in, etc, etc.  It just gets worse and
> worse.  Right now Mozilla browser with several tabs open and mail open
> closes unexpectedly after an hour or so.  iTunes does the same.  Or
> everything gets so slow that I can be typing along and nothing is on the
> screen for several seconds.
>
> I recently heard on a tech podcast that sometimes an under powered power
> supply could cause that kind of thing as it wasn't giving enough power
> to the hd's to spin up correctly.
> Perhaps the powersupply that came with the Dell  Dimension 8400 was fine
> for the machine as is but my adding , gradually, 3 external harddrives,
> a card reader, scanner, printer, UPS backup battery, etc would be enough
> to do it in? I will say, however, I"ve had the external drives turned
> off all day and Mozilla still quit on me.  The printer is unhooked.  So,
> could those extra usb or firewire things cause the power supply to fail?
> Thanks guys.
> Paula

* New email? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L YourNewAddress
* Need more help? Send mail to: ComputerGuys-L-Request@listserv.aol.com