List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: WAMU's HD radio
From:       Bob Vandegrift <794cguys () EARTHLINK ! NET>
Date:       2005-10-24 2:24:09

For a current review of several aspects of HD Radio, see the
latest issue of "Sound & Vision" Magazine, November 2005,
pages 99-101, article titled: "HD Radio: Ready for Prime
Time?" by Ivan Berger.
It includes sections on, New and Improved, Need the Info,
Battling the Satellites, Where the Stations Are, and HD
Radio in the Real World.  It should clear up some of the
confusion -
Bob
---

Steve Rigby wrote:
> T.L. Hawkins wrote:
>
>> There are several separate issues presented here that need
>> sorting out. If HD radio really uses a compression technique
>> (which FM does not), it's not likely that the claim of "CD"
>> quality would obtain. For example,   MP3 compression technology
>> definitely is not superior to CD in sound quality, so it may be
>> the same case with HD radio compared to FM.
>

>   I expect there is a discernible level of hype associated with what
> I have read about the audio quality of HD radio, and of course,
> every station, as well as every program could offer a different
> level of audio quality anyway.
>
>> (Two of the deficient factors with MP3 are poor sound "imaging"
>> and "depth", compared to CD sound quality, which FM, given good
>> electronics and speakers in the home, does manifest somewhat better
>> imaging and depth than MP3 technology.)
>

>   I'll certainly agree with you here.
>
>> (Nevertheless, I remember listening to some master tapes, used
>> for stamping out the vinyl recordings--15 in/sec speed, 1 or 1/2
>> inch width--at a NY audio show back in the 70s, and I don't think
>> I've ever heard anything more realistic.)
>

>   Holy cow, yes.  High speed, wide format magnetic tape is
> astounding when all else is equally well put together in terms of
> capturing the recording session.
>
>   Steve

Bob Vandegrift
RR 2, Box 459