List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Update; Computer Bogging Down
From:       Richard Puckett <richshar () VACOXMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2005-08-26 15:30:24

Hello Computer Helpers,

    I just wanted to give you an update on this problem and thankfully, it's \
solution.

    There was a conflict between McAfee's Virusscan and Webroot's Spy Sweeper which \
developed after McAfee upgraded their 9.1.08 program to include scanning for spyware. \
The good news is that McAfee Virusscan 10.0.25 is compatible with Spy Sweeper's \
current version 4.0.4.

    Working with both Webroot and McAfee technicians for the past 3 weeks helped \
narrow down the issue, although they could not fix it. Webroot correctly said the \
problem was related to McAfee's Virusscan adding spyware sweeps to it's program. \
McAfee's tech support said it was my fault for running two anti-spyware programs \
together (despite the fact that Virusscan is an anti-virus program and they sell a \
separate anti-spyware program which I do not have). They also denied any \
responsibility for the issue. Ultimately, it was McAfee's customer service who came \
through with the solution, albeit by accident. A wonderful tier 3 representative who \
did not want to lose my business upgraded my 9.1.08 Virusscan to 10.0.25 which \
resolved the 2 program's conflict. She also promised to alert the technicians to the \
resolution so they can better help their customers. I can't thank her enough for her \
help.

    More technical details are available if anyone needs them.

    I also want to once again thank everyone in this List who helped me work through \
to this resolution. I also have high praises for Sysinternal's Process Explorer which \
enabled me to see where the root of the problem was.

    Many Thanks!

    Richard