List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    "Demand-Side Economics" [was: Big Guys eat little guys]
From:       Gerry Hoffmann <gerbear () NET-LINK ! NET>
Date:       2003-07-30 16:00:57

Stewart Marshall said
>And the corollary also applies, we want the highest wages we can possibly
>get also.

And of course, the way Walmart cuts prices is by cutting wages--both
internally and by beating down suppliers, so it's really
counterproductive.

A better example was Henry Ford, who had a turnover problem until he
decided he should pay his workers a wage that would allow them to
actually BUY what they were producing.

What a concept.  It's the opposite of "trickle down."  It's building
a genuine economic foundation UNDER the economy--increasing wages so
people CAN buy stuff the owners want to sell.

I suppose it would be called "Demand-Side Economics."