List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: FTP was [USB drives]
From:       Vicky Staubly <vicky () STEEDS ! COM>
Date:       2003-05-31 4:29:13

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Fred Holmes wrote:
> At 06:49 PM 5/30/2003, Vicky Staubly wrote:
> >ncftp does give you URL-style destinations and a nicer progress meter.
> >I forget (it's been a while)... what other improvements are there?
>
> I've used ncftp from day 1, when someone suggested it when I asked for help
> with ftp, so I don't really know what ftp has and doesn't have.
>
> One feature of ncftp is a "full screen" interface.  Not gui, just text
> mode, but like the full screen interface of many DOS utilities of yore.
> I've never used that, other than to open it once to see what is there.

Ok.. don't think I ever used the full-screen interface.

> In either command line or full screen mode, it keeps a bookmark file of
> where you have been before, and the bookmark is whatever you want it to be,
> just a few letters.  It suggest something short, if you exit a site without
> saving a bookmark.  The bookmark includes the specific directory you have
> been transferring files to/from.

I think I remember that, but didn't use it much, as there were only
a couple places I visited regularly (ftp.netscape.com,
wuarchive.wustl.edu, etc.)

> I've been more and more using gui, and now use Windows Commander for
> substantially all ftp transfers.

Nowadays I find myself using "wget" if I'm not using my browser,
mainly because I can just feed it a bunch of URLs and then go away
while it does its thing. (Plus, being command-line, I can run it
via ssh on one of my home machines from work, or a different home
machine.)

> The "detailed" instructions weren't meant for you, but for the individual
> that you were suggesting use ftp -- he's a guru too; no offense meant.

No offense taken. My remark about not being "user friendly" was
just meant as a "this might not be for everyone" caveat. I wasn't
sure what Wayne's level of expertise was (though if he's running
remote X apps via eXceed, he must know a thing or two about both
Windows and Unix). In fact, he may want to look for the Windows
version of "scp" which may help him satisfy any security requirements.
Did he say the Sun would continue to be on both networks (i.e. be
dual-homed, even if no routing is done between the nets)? If so,
he can scp/ftp/whatever to the Sun from one PC, and do it from the Sun
to the other PC. Or (in the unlikely event he can install software
on the Sun), he could put Samba there which would make it look
like a Windows fileserver from both PCs. Anyway, the possibilities
are endless, but I think it's Wayne's IT department's responsibility
to set up _something_ that allows him to do his work without undue
difficulty.

--
Vicky Staubly        http://www.steeds.com/vicky/         vicky@steeds.com