List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Help with adding a new drive to a Mac
From:       Panzer Francis-C21300 <Francis.Panzer () MOTOROLA ! COM>
Date:       2001-12-28 20:15:33

Personally I'd go with at least an internal ATA drive over a FireWire drive. The reason being that if you have digital video streaming in over FireWire and out to a FireWire drive then you might have glitches because both the video source and drive are sharing the buss. What I use is a wide SCSI drive, which is expensive but very, very fast and unlike an ATA drive your CPU doesn't have to spend time controlling it. I have a Fujitsu server drive with a 10K RPM spindle and an Adaptec Ultra 160 SCSI card. An OS 9 install on a drive like this takes little more than 10 minutes. As for hard drive brands I like IBM and Fujitsu. The Fujitsu drive is so quite I can't hear it operating. I've never had any problems with Quantums either.

Frank