List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Printing from outside a domain
From:       Vicky Staubly <vicky () STEEDS ! COM>
Date:       2001-10-30 22:55:56

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Dan Stewart wrote:
> A printing question for you Windows 2000 gurus: Is it possible for a
> standalone (not in a domain) PC to print to a network printer within a
> domain?
>
> I don't see any way to use the "Run As" command, and I don't want to set up
> IIS and etc. on the print server to enable Internet printing.  Am I out of
> luck?

You could try entering the printer's name by hand (by IP address):
        \\123.45.67.89\printer_name
and see if it prompts you for a login-name and password (if so, you
may need an account in that domain, in which case you enter the "login"
as "domain\username", and the password for that user).

Failing that, ask the admin of the domain if he or she can run the
"Printing Services for TCP/IP" (i.e. an LPR server). Then go to
the Printers control panel, select the "Add Printer" wizard. Select
"local printer" and clear the checkbox to automatically detect it,
then click Next. On the next window, select "Create a new port"
and select "Standard TCP/IP" port from the drop-down list.
Click Next. Then enter the IP address (or internet hostname).
I'm not sure what "portname" it wants. Try something like "lp",
or the printer's name from above.

Good luck! :-)

--
Vicky Staubly        http://www.steeds.com/vicky/         vicky@steeds.com