List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Casting My Net For Some Help
From:       Paul Galjan <galjanpa () SUNGURU ! COM>
Date:       2001-01-29 14:10:52

I'm writing this reply on a P150 MMX with 48 MB of ram and 1.4 G HD.  I have no \
problems with it.  This is my "throwaway machine," meaning the one I use for Internet \
browsing.  When I want to play games I run Win98 w/IE 4.72 as my primary browser.  \
When I get sick of Windows I load RH Linux 6.2 on it.  I've also been able to get NT \
Server (4) on it.  Believe it or not, it performed just as well as Win9x.

A couple of weeks ago I broke the PC Card modem I have for it.  I replaced it with a \
serial 56k modem (Zoom), primarily because I can see myself breaking another PC card \
(I'm clumsy).  I found the external modem to be remarkably faster, because the PC \
Card was relying on my processor.  The modem ran me about $80 including serial cable.

So, I would jack up the RAM by another 16-32 megs, run anything Win98 or earlier, or \
some flavor of Linux.  Don't be tempted to get a winmodem.  Decent external modems \
aren't that much more expensive.  I have 2 megs of video RAM on this machine, which \
powers monitors up to a decent resolution without affecting performance too badly.

--paul

> > 4. And, concluding, would something like a Pentium 150/32Meg/1.5Gig type of
> > set-up be feasible? Would even that be enough, considering the inevitable
> > upgrades and patches that the powers that be routinely demand of their
> > customers?

==
Paul Galjan
System & Network Admin.
Taos http://www.taos.com
pgaljan@taos.com

* New email? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L YourNewAddress
* Need more help? Send mail to: ComputerGuys-L-Request@listserv.aol.com