List:       comedi
Subject:    Re: NI 6036E PCMCIA
From:       "Andreas Leuner" <al14 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2006-01-06 13:02:00

> Hi all,
>
> I have a NI 6036E PCMCIA DAQCard and I want to operate the card from Linux
> (Suse 9.2).
>
> I have successfully installed the comedi-0.7.70  and comedilib-0.7.22.

I assume you configured comedilib with the standard prefix /usr/local,
i.e. you installed everything from comedilib under /usr/local.

> Then I did:
> /sbin/modprobe  ni_mio_cs
>
> and it appears that the module is loaded.
>
> Then I typed:
> comedi_config /dev/comedi0 ni_mio_cs

With PCMCIA cards this is supposed to happen automatically after you
inserted a card. On Linux (and other) systems some script magic does that.

Such scripts are also included in the comedilib distribution. However they
have to be installed in your systems default location for PCMCIA scripts.
Only then the PCMCIA daemon will automatically execute them.

But the comedilib distribution does not install them there by default.
They could mess with a comedilib package of your linux distribution. So
everything is normally installed under /usr/local if you didn't tell
comedilib's configure script otherwise.

> and I get the following error message:
>
>> Andros:/ # comedi_config /dev/comedi0 ni_mio_cs
>> Configure failed!: Input/output error
>> Check kernel log for more information
>> Possible reasons for failure:
>>   Driver not found

This is what I saw many times :-)

> Hence, I assume that ni_mio_cs is not the correct driver
> for my card.
But section 6.1.57 of the comedi documentation states that it's the
correct driver and claims that it works.
The error message you got is misleading however. Try inserting any other
comedi driver, like ni_pcimio.o (for NI PCI cards) or pcl818.o for some
Advantech cards. They will load without failure. That's because hardware
is only probed at comedi_config time. This triggered "blah blah ..."
"Driver not found". This should mean "board not found".

> Could someone please tell me ...

why? Could be for several reasons.

For example for the sole reason that insmod and comedi_config weren't
called automatically by PCMCIA daemon but by hand. I have seen that and
still can't tell the difference between what the daemon did and what I did
by hand. There should be a technical difference however. Daemons can't do
magic :-)

You can fix this by invoking comedilib's configure script with additional
switches like this:
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
Then recompile and install comedilib again.

There could have been general PCMCIA problems. Try to get more debugging
information from your PCMCIA daemon. Use 'lspci -vv' to find out the
vendor of your computer's PCMCIA bridge. Test everything on a computer
with a PCMCIA bridge of a differend brand.

There are numerous possibilities of what could be going on here.

Good luck in trying to find out what,

Andreas Leuner