List:       comedi
Subject:    Re: Driver not found (ni_mio_cs) - please help
From:       "Andreas Leuner" <al14 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2005-08-22 16:33:24

> Hello Group:
>
> I have installed Fedora core 3, Linux kernel 2.6.8.1-adeos, RTAI 3.1,
> comedi-0.7.69 and comedilib-0.7.22 on a dell laptop. I tried to mount
> National Instrument DAQ Card 6062E as follows:
>
> # /sbin/insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_hal.ko
> # /sbin/insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_lxrt.ko
> # /sbin/insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_fifos.ko
> # modprobe comedi
> # modprobe ni_mio_cs
> # /usr/local/sbin/comedi_config /dev/comedi0 ni_mio_cs
>
> Everything worked well except the last step, which gave the following
> error,
>
> Configure failed: Input/output error
> Check kernel log for more information
> Possible reasons for failure:
>    Driver not found
>
> If you have any idea about what it means please let me know. I read the
> kernel
> log through "dmesg" but did not get any clue to fix this.

You really did not give enough information to indicate the source of the
problem. This configure failure can have several reasons, namely:
- general PCMCIA problem (error on card detection)
- improper installation of comedi(lib)
- your way of loading the modules and configuring the card device
- maybe others

You can now do the following:
1. to make a simple 'modprobe ni_mio_cs' work:
I assume you installed RTAI into /usr/realtime and have the Adeos-patched
kernel running. If you do not know what this and the following steps mean
please ask back.
 su -
 mkdir -p /lib/modules/`uname -r`/rtai
 cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/rtai
 ln -s /usr/realtime/modules/* .
 depmod -ae

Now 'modprobe ni_mio_cs' should load rtai_hal, rtai_up, rtai_fifos, comedi
and ni_mio_cs. If you really want rtai_lxrt instead of rtai_up (You need
it if you use rtai_comedi.ko):

 rm /lib/modules/`uname -r`/rtai/rtai_ksched.ko
 depmod -ae

2. to make PCMCIA service load and configure the card automatically upon
insertion:
I assume you installed comedilib into /usr/local - this is true if you
didn't 'configure' it with a prefix other than that.
 su -
 cd /etc/pcmcia
 ln -s /usr/local/etc/pcmcia/* .
These steps install (link) the comedi-specific pcmcia scripts into the
system's standard location for pcmcia scripts.

After this the PCMCIA service of your laptop should attempt to load the
needed modules for your card and configure it with comedi_configure as
soon as you insert the card.

To quickly check if it worked then:
 cat /proc/comedi

A line containing '0: ni_mio_cs' should appear (among others). If that's
the case your DAQCard is properly configured.

If not try to ask back on the list

Good luck!
  Andreas Leuner