List:       comedi
Subject:    Re: Analog Input Board Recommendations
From:       Tim Holy <holy () pcg ! wustl ! edu>
Date:       2002-11-13 19:57:06

Hi Calin,

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 12:51 pm, Calin A. Culianu wrote:
> I was just reviewing your email which recommends the 6071E from NI.  At
> any rate, I was wondering how you are doing signal conditioning for 64
> channels?  It seems that all the SCXI stuff NI offers likes to multiplex
> multiple inputs from multiple SCXI modules onto one physical AI channel
> that goes out to your DAQ device.  This means you have to de-multiplex all
> 64 channels in software.
>
> How are you overcoming this problem?  Are you doing your own homegrown
> signal conditioning?  Or are you using SCXI and de-multiplexing in
> software?

I bought a 64-channel amplifier from Multichannel Systems
(http://www.multichannelsystems.com/). You can pick the gains and cutoff
frequencies over a fairly large range. My amplifier is not
software-adjustable (though they do sell one that is), as I find that a
single set of parameters works well for me. It was something like $4500 and
is so small it almost fits inside your shirt pocket (not including external
power supply). I've built single-channel amplifiers that were bigger than
that...

On input & output this amplifier uses 68-pin SCSI-3 connectors. You do have to
do a little work to route the signals into the 100-pin connector of the NI
board. I built a panel box that provides easy access to the digital channels,
analog output channels, triggers, etc., as well as the 68-pin connector for
the analog input channels. NI sells a breakout box (SCB100 or some such) that
I used for this purpose, but if I were to do it again I would design a
printed circuit board, so that I could build 2 or 3 setups with little extra
effort. If you decide to go this route, let me know and maybe we can
collaborate on a design.

Best,
--Tim