List:       colinux-users
Subject:    Re: [coLinux-users] Help needed starting and closing coLinux VM
From:       Henry Nestler <henry.ne () arcor ! de>
Date:       2010-01-30 19:37:21

  On 28.01.2010 20:41, Frank Church wrote:
> I am using Lazarus/FreePascal to run a coLinux VM but the shutdown
> process just seems to terminate it abruptly and I would like to know
> if there is some other way.
>
> eg when you close click on the close button of a coLinux terminal
> window, it prints out a yellow notice and goes through a controlled
> shutdown process. In my case when I close from the Lazarus app, the
> window disappears abruptly, and I wonder if goes through a controlled
> shutdown.
>
> The start process is like this.
>
>    vmProcess := TProcess.Create
>    vmProcess.CommandLine :=  'c:\colinux\coLinux-daemon.exe -k -t NT -d
> @rt.conf';
>    vmProcess.Execute;
>    ShowMessage('process pid = ' + IntToStr(vmProcess.ProcessID));
>
> The ccommand to close is like this.
>
>   if Assigned(vmProcess) then
>   begin
>     vmProcess.Active := False;
>     vmProcess.Free;
>   end;
>
> Is there some value I can derive from the ProcesID than I can use to
> send a message to windows to close it properly?

I'm not a user of Pascal. I think, you killed the process to shortly
after Active := False with the Free of this object.

http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/docs/fcl/process/tprocess.execute.html

I would say, you needs to use "Terminate" and than check "Running" in a
time limited loop with some idle time for the CPU, to let the process
gracefully shutting down. Last get the exit code with WaitOnExit.

--
Henry N.