List:       colinux-devel
Subject:    [coLinux-devel] Re: Copy and Paste
From:       Nuno Lucas <ntl () nlucas ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2004-07-26 14:13:06

Digital Infra, Inc., dando pulos de alegria, escreveu :
<snip>
 > heard that Gnome is based on network RPC technology. Then, why
 > there is no network c/p util for KDE or Gnome? I mean, copying
 > some texts from Windows to Gnome over tcp/ip link. I dont know a
 > name, but google would tell us.

Yep, there are. After your mail I just gave google a shot.
But none is specific for Gnome or other, just the same basic idea I
already said in the other thread.

Here's the most promising candidates:

** Remote Clip - "Copy-and-paste data easily among Palms, Windows, and
Unix using clipboard synchronization"
--> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~rcm/RemoteClip/

A bit outdated but the more complete solution I found. It even has SSL
for privacy, clipboard groups, invisible to the user once configured.

It's in Java. But it's GPL'd, so it should be ok to make a GPL'd C++
program out of it (this to avoid having a java vm in colinux).
What I like is they have all thinked out, so a good comparison project
for any other solution.

** Clipster
--> http://clipster.sourceforge.net/

Using wxPython for the job. It seems only for windows machines, but
ready to accept other platforms as well (by adding the platform specific
functions).
On the TODO list is making it lite (the author acknowledges 6MB of
unnecessary GUI code is quite ridiculous).

** Network Clipboard - "Transparent cross-platform clipboard
synchronization"
--> http://netclipboard.sourceforge.net/

It's in development, not very well thinked (everyone shares with
everyone on the same subnet), but could be exactly what we want for
coLinux, i.e. the basic is made, just needs some coLinux related
features added.
Against it is using QT3 in Linux - maybe too heavy - and seems to not
cover all situations.

All others were single platform (mostly windows) or simply not worthy.

I didn't find any "production-ready" multi-platform solution, not even
commercial one. That makes me wonder why...

About what I proposed (making a prototype using SDL), it will take
longer than I thought. SDL has no copy/paste routines, just a sample on
how to use the native engine (X, QNX, Win32, etc.) inside SDL.

At least now I know why the c/p mechanism has so many problems in X.
There are two (plus one that is deprecated) ways of copy/paste in X, and
both require that the programmer handles them (if not handled by the
framework they use). As with many open source programs out there, lazy
programs simply don't care.

In windows, the basic controls handle copy/paste "out-of-the-box" (and a
requirement for the windows logo for the others), so there is no need
for programmer intervention.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas