List:       colinux-devel
Subject:    Re: [coLinux-devel] CoLinux ideas - and ReactOS work
From:       "Digital Infra, Inc." <okajima () digitalinfra ! co ! jp>
Date:       2004-07-21 16:24:50

Hello Aloni.

I worry a little that if you have some mis-understanding.
See my comment of your posting about coLinux FB.

BTW, Sorry, Lucas, the message I have to post about FB is delayed.
Writing English is so troublesome issue for me.

                                    --- Okajima.

>On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 10:08:29PM -0700, Steven Edwards wrote:
>
>> We are still working on improving ReactOS to run CoLinux. Here are a
>> few of the ideas we have to make ReactOS/Windows and CoLinux play nicer
>> together. I know some of these ideas have been bounced around already
>> and we have not been much of a help yet but things are coming along.
>>
>> Anyway here are a few ideas Arty and I hashed out while reviewing the
>> status of CoLinux on ReactOS.
>>
>> 1. Think about simple stuff like a rootless X server and a the Xdnd
>> extention hooking in to OLE and DCOM like in Wine only in reverse. The
>> end user could cut/copy/paste text/images what have you via this
>> service running on Windows in the Xserver.
>
>Interesting. I guess this means something needs to translate between
>Linux's dragged objects and Windows's dragged objects. Wouldn't be
>that hard I guess.

Yeah, of course, it is good. And traslating function is necessary,
at least for Japanese text. Because, we have three encoding for texts,
and usually Linux one and Windows one is different.

>> 4. Run the X server on linux and give a nice chunk of dib section to it
>> directly? that would allow fbcon and svga programs to run  as well as
>> making X pretty fast but restoring programs' ability to use the render
>> extension and MIT-SHM.
>
>This sounds like the frame buffer functionality we are planing to add,
>which basically means map a physical memory direct video buffer, allowing
>for almost no overhead in rendering.

You plan to use Ian Pratt's User Land I/O Technology? Except using such kind
of technology, I cant imagine how to utilize H/W acceleration safely from coLinux.
I am sure that you currently have a very good information source near you ;-).
Ian Pratt and Keith Packard must have an interest about this issue.