List:       cobbler-devel
Subject:    Re: New direction for imports
From:       James Cammarata <sngx-admin () sngx ! net>
Date:       2010-12-14 0:01:15

> But,  the repodata dirs on the iso already satisfy the needs of yum,
> both for installation and post-installation addition of packages. I know
> this as I've done this in the past, and needed to "rsync $iso
> $ks_mirror" to allow installation / post-installation to work for rhel6
> using current cobbler.
>
> So again, why is createrepo needed rather than just copying the existing
> repodata dirs off of the iso? I do not understand why copying is not
> sufficient for all uses. (If the yum repo format has changed, surely we
> need to keep the format as one that the iso's installer understands).

I may be mistaken, but I believe the issue, on some older versions of
RHEL at least, was that the repodata as generated on the CD/DVD did
not work well when copied straight over - it was like the repo was
local only and yum threw errors about not being able to find things.
If it's running createrepo, it did it for a reason, that much I know.