List:       cobbler
Subject:    Re: [cobbler] Ipmitool and ipmilan woes and power resetting and PXE Mode issues.
From:       Scott Mattan <s-mattan () niscom ! co ! jp>
Date:       2015-08-10 0:53:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Nish,

Sorry for the late response, I would love to write an article on my setup,
unfortunately, I am bound by company restrictions.

That being said, it isn't a customer facing setup so the process does have
some security issues that I need to eventually work out.
(although being on an isolated network, I am not too worried)

I would also love to commit to the project, although at the moment my
python skills are non-existant so everything that my setup is running on is
either BASH, AWK, SED, or Ruby scripts.

It may be possible to order your servers with SeaBios(also known as
coreboot or openbios), which is open source legacy BIOS implementation and
therefore you should be able to write code against it... I haven't taken a
look into it much myself yet. (although I have heard that there are still a
good many issues with some of the more advanced features)

My reasoning for wanting to see the ability to configure the BIOS is that
once you have the Server set to PXE boot (preferably factory set) I would
rather not have to jump into the BIOS of each individual server to change a
single setting here and or there based on some SLA that is in place.
Although I realize that this is more of a far off dream at the moment for
cobbler, I know that using proprietary tools that this likely currently
being done by industry giants such as Google and Amazon.

In anycase, I will keep my eye open, and if I have the chance to contribute
something, even if its a simple bash script (albeit slightly edited as my
current scripts have a couple of issues related to security as mentioned
earlier) I will do so.

Scott Mattan