List:       cobbler
Subject:    Re: [cobbler] RHEL & CentOS 5.x - Error Downloading Kickstart File
From:       Phil Edwards <phil () linux2000 ! com>
Date:       2013-07-24 13:42:30

> Phil Edwards <phil@linux2000.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I'm having a similar problem to one that was reported by another
>> subscriber back in June. I don't seem to be able to build anything other
>> than CentOS or RHEL v6 machines. Any attempt to build a RHEL5 or CentOS5
>> machine results in 'Error downloading kickstart file'. I'll outline the
>> troubleshooting steps that I've taken so far, maybe somebody can suggest
>> something I've missed.

Just wanted to let people know that this is now resolved. The good news
is that it wasn't a Cobbler problem at all.

The machine I was trying to build was a VMWare instance which I created
some time ago as a test server. It was originally created as a CentOS 6
machine, wherein lay the problem.

By default, the VMWare vSphere client creates CentOS and RHEL 6 machines
using 'vmxnet3' as the virtual NIC hardware. There is no vmxnet3 driver
in the kernel which Anaconda uses for the RHEL5 install, hence as soon
as the PXE process hands off to Anaconda, network connectivity is lost.

Thanks to Harry for pointing me in the right direction - a tcpdump
showed the PXE traffic, but nothing coming in on port 80 when the
request was supposedly being made for the kickstart file. That was
enough to get me looking more carefully at the hardware configuration.

--

Regards

Phil Edwards   |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Brighton, UK   |  0xD5D8F53C