List:       cobbler
Subject:    Re: [cobbler] Problem with PXE when DHCP not running on cobbler server
From:       "Mann, Owen" <Owen.Mann () interactivedata ! com>
Date:       2012-04-16 22:36:26

I believe pxelinux.0 will do the same thing regardless. Is the DHCP server Linux too? \
Can you do a trace to confirm the correct offer is being given and accepted? The \
process is like so: 1) PXE BIOS sends DHCP request
2) DHCP server replies with IP address, bootfile-name [i.e. "/pxelinux.0"], \
next-server [i.e. cobbler], (etc.) 3) PXE BIOS sends TFTP GET request for \
next-server:/bootfile-name 4) PXE BIOS runs bootfile-name (pxelinux.0), which \
proceeds to download its config file

Can you confirm that:
a) the PXE BIOS is accepting the offer you think it is? Sometimes there's a rogue \
DHCP server. b) the next-server and bootfile-name given are the ones you think they \
are? If either is wrong, you may be getting a different bootfile than you expect. \
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but your log snips don't include this information.

Also, if the config isn't there, does it go down the list - that is, does it try to \
download: pxelinux.cfg/AC1213C0
pxelinux.cfg/AC1213C
pxelinux.cfg/AC1213
pxelinux.cfg/AC121
pxelinux.cfg/default
? You should at least end up with the default config (which is a list of Cobbler \
profiles).

Owen Mann, Interactive Data Real Time Services
60 Codman Hill Rd, Boxborough, MA 01719
978-795-3758 owen.mann@interactivedata.com