List:       cobbler
Subject:    Re: A very basic question
From:       James Cammarata <jimi () sngx ! net>
Date:       2011-10-15 6:27:51

> > That won't work with the import modules now, I'm not sure if it ever
> > worked (even though the documentation says --path can be an rsync
> > location). Download the ISO or rsync the files locally, and then point
> > --path at that directory.
>
> I can verify that this worked (cobbler import --path=rsync://...) as of
> February 2010.  I'm sure I've done it since then but that's the last
> time I have an import documented.
>
> > From what I can tell, it looks like the old importer would rsync from
> the given path to the local system and then determine the distribution's
> breed.  This code is also present in version 2.2.1's
> ImportRedhatManager's run() method but I don't think it ever gets that
> far.  check_for_signature() expects a local path and it's called in
> BootAPI's import_tree() method before run() is.
>
> I think this functionality can be restored if import_tree() handles
> downloading trees from remote sources before calling
> check_for_signature() in the import modules.

Actually, this does work today. You just have to specify --breed on
the command line since there are no local files to scan.

$ cobbler import
--path=rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/

--name=F14 --breed=redhat
task started: 2011-10-15_012126_import
task started (id=Media import, time=Sat Oct 15 01:21:26 2011)
scanning rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/
 for a redhat-based distro signature
Warning: No distro signature for kernel at
rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/,
 using value from command line
running: rsync -a
'rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/'

/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/F14
--exclude-from=/etc/cobbler/rsync.exclude --progress

So, this at least is a work-around for now. Beyond that, we could just
move all of that code from the individual import modules into
import_tree() like you say. I actually like that idea anyway, because
it removes a lot of code duplication - it just won't be a trivial
change.