List:       cobbler
Subject:    can cobbler create new subnets on dhcpd.conf on its own?
From:       chorn () fluxcoil ! net (Christian Horn)
Date:       2009-11-23 18:55:49

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:01:37AM -0600, James Cammarata wrote:

> > cobbler takes dhcp.template and creates /etc/dhcpd.conf with it
> > just fine.
> >
> > There has to be a subnet-entry thou for each network segment the
> > deployed servers are coming up from.  Until now we manually edit
> > dhcp.template for this.
> >
> > Maybe its already doing this but i am missing the peaces?
>
> A feature that didn't make it into 2.0 was network objects, which would
> pretty much be required for creating new subnets for the dhcpd.conf.
> Otherwise, we'd have to scan through every system object and built a list
> of subnets, something that's not really practical if you have a large
> system base.  I had done a little work on the network stuff, mainly webui
> based, but when it was decided to exclude that I stopped working on it, and
> I'm not sure anyone has picked it back up.

Thanks, so i didnt just overlook the feature.

So will now look into adding data of new 'cobbler system'
objects to a ldap.  Once that host-object exists i have to query
if the subnet is already there as a separate object in the ldap.
Will also use this to store several attributes in that subnet-
ldap-object and let the hosts in that subnet inherit the attributes
when they get deployed by cobbler.
For new subnets that objects gets created in the ldap an in the
dhcp.template .

Christian