List:       cobalt-users
Subject:    RE: this list is moderated?
From:       Lyle Scheer <lyle () cobaltnet ! com>
Date:       1998-11-13 16:11:29

On Friday, November 13, 1998 12:41 AM, Martin Baehr
[SMTP:mbaehr@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at] wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 04:07:27PM -0800, Lyle Scheer wrote:
> > In case you folks haven't noticed, this is a moderated mailing list,
and
> > I'm the guy currently responsible for approving all messages on the
list.

> huh? why is this list moderated?
> is there a need for this?
> do you fear spam?
> from the members of the list? or from outside of the list?

When I asked to start these mailing lists, it was suggested to me that it
should be moderated.  There was a fear not only of spam, but also of making
sure the list only projected a positive image of Cobalt.  However, I
believe in the value of constructive criticism, and have been rather loose
in my moderation.

> the former i can hardly imagine, and the latter is easy to stop
> by having the list subscribers only...
>
> can you give an idea how many posts you rejected so far?

Zero.  As of yesterday's DNS discussion, I decided I had better things to
do with my time and now we're unmoderated ;-).  I'll only put us back on
moderation if anything abusive starts to happen, which I feel is unlikely.

- Lyle