List:       cobalt-users
Subject:    RE: [cobalt-users] Secondary MX
From:       "Dan Kriwitsky" <list1 () discoversarasota ! com>
Date:       2002-10-31 23:50:34

> Background:  I have a customer with a worldwide presence.
> They use their corporate network to host everything EXCEPT
> www, which I provide for them. Now their local office would
> like to have some authority over their e-mail as well.  They
> want to have the home office handle all the existing mail,
> and have us handle new e-mail accounts they set up.  They do
> NOT want to migrate all their accounts to us, but for setting
> up new accounts we are much more responsive than their IT department.
>
> Here's my question:  If I have their IT dept. set up an MX
> record with the name of our host (I guess we'll need an A
> record, too) and then if an e-mail is sent to an address that
> is not sent to the mailserver at Headquarters, will it fall to ours?

If they're using name@domain.com you could setup mail.domain.com and
have new users use name@mail.domain.com. DNS will just need an MX to
point that to your server. If all the email addresses are unique they
can have forwarding setup in case someone sends to name@domain.com
instead of name@mail.domain.com on your server.
--
Dan Kriwitsky