List:       cobalt-users
Subject:    Re: [cobalt-users] Upgrading RAQ 3i  to 4i
From:       "John D. Gorena" <Support () JMG-Enterprises ! com>
Date:       2002-03-31 15:28:30

Doc wrote:

> I am going to upgrade my RAQ 3i's to RAQ 4i's!  Does anyone have any ideas
> or suggestions on how I might copy all of the data to the new RAQ's? (i.e.
> setup info, sites, accounts, existing mail for individual accounts, DNS, and
> any other important info)  I would greatly appreciate any help you can give
> me!
>
> Drew,
>
> P.S. has anyone using StaQware or have used StaQware in the past?

I had a successful migration and I took notes for my next migration ... From my
notes PLEASE READ IT ALL BEFORE YOU START!  READ THIS and READ THE CMU HELP
STUFF COMPLETELY.

MIGRATION
I.	The CMU: Cobalt Migration Utility
	A.	Is located at http://www.cobalt.com/products/raq/migration.html
	B.	Each package must be installed on the appropriate server.  For Example, if
you are migrating from Raq3 to Raq4 . . . the Raq3 CMU must be installed on the
Raq3 and the Raq4 CMU must be installed on the Raq4.
II.	Read the 10 to 12 page manual before starting.  MOST All of the instructions
are there.
III.	Transferring Data:  I found it easier to use the FTP command but this only
works if you have an IP for each server.  That is, both servers are online.
	A.	After you have created a directory on each server and have used the
cmuExport command on the source Raq.
	B.	From the Target Raq and from that Directory you created there, use the
following commands
		1.	ftp -i SourceRaqIP (you will be asked for login and password)
		2.	cd to the directory on the source.
		3.	type "mget *" - - This will transfer al the files in that directory to your
target Raq.
		4.	type "bye" to quit ftp.
	C.	From the TargetRaq directory where you just transferred your files, your can
run the cmuImport command.  If you created the virtual accounts then you will be
prompted to ‘drop' or ‘quit'.  Another option is ‘ignore' which will transfer
the data anyway.
	D.	On the TargetRaq goto /etc/name/
	E.	run ‘ftp -i SouceRaqIP' again
	F.	type ‘get /etc/named/records'  - - This will transfer the DNS data template
file called records.  DO NOT transfer all the other files in that directory.
	G.	Use your browser and login to the target Raq admin control panel and go into
DNS parameters and just click SAVE.  This will create all the individual DNS
records for the TargetRaq.
IV.	NOTES:  not in the manual.
	A.	Turn off the E-mail server from the Browser Interface also.
	B.	Be sure to run the "meta-verify.pl -u -a" and "meta-verify -s -a" for the
raq3.  There is no ".pl" on the Raq4 but the options are the same.  See the
manual for locations of these files.
	C.	Though the CMU works great, here are some things that I wish I did
differently.
		1.	I wish that I had created the virtual accounts in the order that I wanted
them.  Or at least created my first few accounts.  I wanted my main account to
be first and it isn't.  If you create a few then just type ‘ignore' when you are
asked to ‘quit or drop' during the cmuImport.  The CMU will create the rest.
		2.	Deleted the virtual accounts on the old server that are no longer valid so
that they are not created on the new server.

I hope this helps.

John