List:       cobalt-developers
Subject:    [cobalt-developers] Re: Chilisoft ASP hang/stall, HELP!!!
From:       "Michelle A. Hoyle" <michelle () transcena ! com>
Date:       2001-03-28 13:15:13

At 12:02 -0800 3/27/01, cobalt-developers-request@list.cobalt.com wrote:
>Message: 8
>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:25:37 +0800
>From: Siao Yuan Tan <sy.tan@pdx.com.my>
>Subject: [cobalt-developers] Chilisoft ASP hang/stall, HELP!!!
>
>Anyone please help me to solve this issue.
>
>My Chilisoft ASP in RaQ4r stall or hang for no reason.  After I restart the
>casp daemon, the daemon will hang/stall after a day or two, sometimes after
>few hours.  I am receiving complaint from my customer because their ASP
>pages would not load and browser show it stalled.
>
>The RaQ4r has been patch with all cobalt updates and problem remain...

I'll bet you don't have the little fix that makes this go: here's a
copy of my posting to another Cobalt owner a few months ago.

The file /home/chiliasp/asp-apache-3000/caspctrl  needs to have the line
. /etc/profile.d/lang.sh added to it and this solved the problem.
Here's the first few lines of my modified file including that line,
which needed to be added at the beginning of this shell script.

#!/bin/sh

#below line added to solve chilisoft server stopping
#from inactivity
. /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
. /home/chiliasp/chsetup.sh
. /home/chiliasp/javasetup.sh
. /home/chiliasp/asp-apache-3000/odbc.sh

I just checked the Cobalt Raq4 support page for a package that
includes this patch but I didn't see anything.  I would have thought
they would have issued a patch for this problem by now.  Since they
didn't, in order to do the change, you'll need to:

1) telnet to your machine as admin
2) su root (it will then ask for your root password)
3) cd /home/chiliasp/asp-apache-3000
4) cp caspctrl caspctrl.orig     -- makes a backup copy
5) Use the vi or pico editor to open the caspctrl text file and add
the new line below the #!/bin/sh part but before anything else in the
script file
6) Restart your chilisoft installation with the new file by either
connecting to the administration interface and restarting the server
or using
/etc/rc.d/init.d /asp-admin-5100 restart          followed by
/etc/rc.d/init.d /asp-apache-3000 restart

You can also, if you're careful, use a text editor on a Macintosh or
Windows box to edit the file.  You need to be sure that your FTP
program converts the return characters back to UNIX, though, when you
upload it or the file may not work properly anymore.  You'll still
need to follow step 6 and the file will still need to be owned by
root when you're done.

If this is beyond your comfort zone and you don't have anyone else to
do it, I can make the change for you at no cost.  It'll take me less
than 5 minutes.

Good luck!

Michelle

--

Michelle A. Hoyle, VP Web Technologies, Canada
#801 T.D. Tower, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  T5J 2Z1
N. America:  1-888-429-2363  |  UK:  020 7529 1465
International:  +1 780 429 2363
------------------|  internet design architects     |--------