List:       cobalt-developers
Subject:    Re: [cobalt-developers] SSL Certificate from other machine.
From:       Jeff Lasman <jblists () nobaloney ! net>
Date:       2000-10-28 22:11:49

Herb Rubin wrote:

> the original system allows you to run a program that outputs the pass phrase.

By "original system" do you mean the non-Cobalt system?  If so, is it
running Linux?

> This is how its done.

Well, it's one way it can be done <smile>.  It's actually no more secure
than having no pass-phrase, though, since anyone who gets on to your
system and steals your cert can also steal the program that outputs your
pass-phrase.

>  Does the Raq 4 work this way? There must be a place to put the pass phrases.

Can't speak for the RaQ4, because I don't have one yet.  Neither the
RaQ3 nor the RaQ2 running Brosoft, as far as I can tell, ask for
pass-phrases.

> Where are the self generated key pair pass phrases kept?

As far as I know the keys are generated to not require pass phrases.
Anyone else know differently?

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>