List:       cobalt-developers
Subject:    Re: [cobalt-developers] Re:find command
From:       "Byron C. Servies" <bservies () pacang ! com>
Date:       2000-10-05 15:26:06

If you want to find a particular file, you must use:

        find [starting directory] -name [filename]

for example, to find the location of motd, use:

        find /etc -name motd

which will return just '/etc/motd' (and probably some permission denied warnings
for directories under /etc it cannot cd into).  With find, you can also locate
files of a particular type, owned by a particular group or user, etc.  Basically
any attribute that can be applied to a file can be used as a search criteria for
find.

find is weird, but it can be really powerful if you learn to use it well.
Chapter 17 of O'Reilly's excellent geek coffee table book 'UNIX Power Tools' is
entirely devoted to using this comman, if you're looking for a description other
than the man page.

Byron