List:       cobalt-developers
Subject:    Re: [cobalt-developers] Automatically loading SCSI driver on Qube2?
From:       "Byron C. Servies" <bservies () pacang ! com>
Date:       2000-06-08 1:47:19

On 6/7/00 at 3:19 PM, thockin@cobalt.com (Tim Hockin) wrote:

> "Byron C. Servies" wrote:
>
> > but when I boot the system I get a message like:
> >
> >         scsi: 0 hosts
>
> it is telling you there are no SCSI hosts built in, and none in use
>
> > and the driver doesn't load.  After the qube2 boots I can run modprobe and it
> > loads just fine.
>
> it should autoload when you access a scsi device..

After booting the qube2 I execute the command:

        # mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /home/users/bservies
        mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda1 as a block device
               (maybe 'insmod driver'?)

but after executing 'modprobe scsi_hostadapter', it works fine.  I believe the
strange lock-ups I have experienced on booting were due to my old configuration,
where I put the scsi device partitions in /etc/fstab and the kernel got 'stuck'
trying to do something with them.

Any other suggestions?

Byron