List:       cmake
Subject:    Re: [CMake] CMake Project Generation Speedup
From:       Gregor Jasny via CMake <cmake () cmake ! org>
Date:       2019-03-21 8:41:48

Hello,

On 17.11.16 17:15, Damian wrote:
> We are still in the process of switching our large Make-based build to
> CMake. One of the issues we're running into is the time it takes to
> reparse and regenerate the CMake project (whether ninja, VS, or make)
> after touching any CMake file. To give you an idea, we have about 1000
> targets and that takes a good 2 min for CMake to rerun.
>
> Are there any plans to speed this up?

CMake VisualStudio and Xcode generator generates one solution /
xcodeproj per project() commmand. Due to the shared vcxproj files this
is not too expensive for Visual Studio. But for Xcode it is. You can
disable that behavior by specifying

   -DCMAKE_XCODE_GENERATE_TOP_LEVEL_PROJECT_ONLY=ON

on the command line.

Thanks,
-Gregor