List:       cmake
Subject:    Re: [CMake] Time each target
From:       Michael Ellery <mellery451 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-25 17:57:31

> On Aug 25, 2016, at 9:58 AM, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel@sandia.gov> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know of a simple way to get CMake to time how long it takes to compile \
> each target? As it stands now, when compiling a CMake-managed project a status is \
> printed before each target is built. What I am looking for is a way to get CMake to \
> print a second status message after the target finishes building with a note on \
> what the wall time of the build was.
> -Ken

I don't know of any built-in support for this. I think Visual Studio projects might \
have a setting to generate timing info, but I suspect you are not using Visual \
Studio/MSbuild.

Here is an example of some build timing:

https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt#L98
https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl/blob/master/cmake/custom_output.sh

..but I think it is providing timing for each compile command, not at the target \
level. In any event, this technique of using RULE_LAUNCH_COMPILE seems interesting - \
perhaps you can adopt it somehow.

The only other thing I can think of is to add custom targets around your real targets \
where  POST depends on REAL which DEPENDS on PRE and the PRE and POST targets just \
print some timing info. Kludgy to be sure. HTH.

-Mike