List:       classiccmp
Subject:    [cctalk] TU58 troubleshooting
From:       Chris Zach via cctalk <cctalk () classiccmp ! org>
Date:       2022-08-26 13:19:03

So I'm working on repairing a TU58 Dectape II drive. So far I have
cleaned it up, replaced the rollers, put new bands in some TU58 carts,
and have fixed the power supply so +5 and +12 are up and running.

Turning on the unit with nothing in it results in a quick flash of light
from the LED on the main board. Hooking it up to an 11/23+ and trying to
boot off it gives me ERR 12 NON-EXISTENT CONTROLLER

Drat.

It's connected to the 11/23+ with a normal 10 pin ribbon cable with keys
at both ends. So questions:

Baud rates are wired in at 9600/9600 on both the unit and the CPU.

1) Is the quick flash on the inside LED normal when powered up
2) Does it require something more than a simple ribbon cable to connect
to the CPU?
3) Should the unit do something else with a tape in and powered on?

Thanks!
Chris