List:       classiccmp
Subject:    RE: foam in DEC SBB drives, ok to remove?
From:       tony duell <ard () p850ug1 ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2014-11-30 6:57:14

> > When my best friend was alive, he stored his camera stuff in airtight
> > cases in foam.
> > After his death, I went through what was left of his stuff.
> >
> > One case had a Visoflex, bellows, and a Leitz Tele-Elmarit 180mm M
> > Visoflex mount lens.  250 of those were made.  One in decent shape goes
> > for $2K.  His was brand-new, quite possibly the last, and only one in
> > perfect shape.  The foam ATE into the barrel of the lens, destroying all
> > collector value.
>
> You really know how to hurt a person, don't you?  I use both film and digital Leica \
> M's, including the Visoflex  bellows and lenses, so this is a seriously painful \
> story.  That is one of the rarest Leica lenses around.

Ouch indeed. I have a small amount of Leica M  stuff (M2 and M4 bodies, visoflex, 4 \
lenses, nothing rare). It's beautiful, although I must say that I prefer a Nikon F to \
the Leica M+visoflex.

Fred, was this lens still usable after that. The barrel was pitted,  I guess, but did \
the focussing mount still work and was the optics OK. I use my cameras, I don't \
collect them, so cosmetic damage is not so significant (I picked  up a Nikkor 180mm \
for a very good price because somebody had scratched an inventory number on the \
barrel. Optically perfect, so still an excellent lens)

 -tony
=