List:       classiccmp
Subject:    RE: Kindle and bitsavers
From:       "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa () wmata ! com>
Date:       2011-01-28 17:34:16

> how much of the archive would fit onto one of these devices?

Bitsavers is well over 120 Gbytes last time I checked, most of it PDF's.

Depending on generation of Kindle you get 1.4 to 3.3 Gbytes of user storage.

Last time I made a DVD-R set of bitsavers content it filled circa 28 DVD's.

> how much of an advantage would one of these devices hold over a laptop?

The Kindle screen is smaller than most laptops but the portrait orientation is a \
better match to typical printed text than a laptop's landscape orientation so the \
screen real estate is way better utilized.

Kindle displays by do not include ornamentation and all that other crap around the \
edge of the window and that's a true win for screen real estate usage too. I can't \
believe it's 2011 and most typical laptop and desktop display usage is devoted to \
crap like borders and icons and buttons. Toolbars are the crappiest idea in the \
world. When I see someone who has installed so many toolbars in their browser that \
half of the screen is taken up with them I just want to scream.

Pixels per inch on the kindle is on the high end of current consumer displays but the \
same is true for many laptop displays too.

Power consumption is way lower on the kindle. ("digital paper" vs LCD technology)

Tim.