List:       classiccmp
Subject:    Re: 2732 eproms.
From:       Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-12-28 3:40:02

--- On Sun, 12/27/09, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, 2732s (and below) are still easy to get - even for
> free. I may
> still have a bunch, unless Ian has culled them out of my
> EPROM box.

Hehe. Nah, you still have quite a few in there. Which reminds me, you really should \
take this box of EPROMs back, lest they all find their way into my projects. Some of \
them are looking nervous.
> Now 2704s are a different story. I found a board with a few
> of them
> digging thru all this CDC stuff. Of course I had to rescue
> them...

Good point. *Those* are very rare. I really should try to talk you out of one of \
those, just so I can say I have one. If I was ever working on any hardware that used \
those, I'd simply build an adapter and use part of a 2732 or something. That's the \
nice thing about EPROM chips - even if you don't have the right one, it's usually not \
that big a deal to use a more common chip and tie the unused address lines to ground.

The only annoying thing is on the other side of the spectrum - needing a bigger chip. \
Lately I've been working with hardware that requires much larger chips, and 16 bit \
wide ones at that. 16 and 32 megabit EPROMs are out there, but aren't nearly as \
easily scavenged as, say, 27512's are.

-Ian