List:       classiccmp
Subject:    New S-100 backplane and prototyping board PCBs
From:       "Andrew Lynch" <lynchaj () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-07-26 15:43:56

Hi!  I made this offer on vintage-computer.com and comp.os.cpm and thought
there may be some home brew computer hobbyists on CCTALK that might also be
interested.

I'd like to offer more S-100 backplane and prototyping board PCBs using a
new approach to get the cost down.  My first batch of both S-100 PCBs are
all sold out and the builders seem happy with them.  My new idea is like a
group buy to increase the order quantity and lower unit cost.  I wrote up a
description of the plan on vintage-computer.com here:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=16539

When I offered S-100 PCBs previously like the other N8VEM boards the unit
costs came out at $25 for the prototyping board and $32 for the backplane.
Both PCBs seem to work fine but I think the price was more than a lot of
hobbyists were willing to pay.  I can understand that so maybe this new
method will work.

For obvious reasons, I will not accept advance orders or payments in
advance. This is a hobbyist project and non-commercial offering.  My goal is
to recover my own expenses of the PCB manufacturing order.  I won't order a
bunch of PCBs that no one wants and there is no point in proceeding if I am
selling them at a loss. There are some on the waiting list already so maybe
this will work. It really depends on how much participation there is which
drives the order quantity up and unit cost down.

As usual, constructive feedback is appreciated.  Thanks and have nice day!

Andrew Lynch