List:       classiccmp
Subject:    Re: Transistors...
From:       Allison <ajp166 () bellatlantic ! net>
Date:       2009-04-29 23:58:22

>Subject: Re: Transistors...
>   From: Fred Cisin <cisin@xenosoft.com>
>   Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:50:48 -0700 (PDT)
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
>
>On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Allison wrote:
>> Common base transistor has current gain of .99999.. and voltage gain >1 as
>> well as power gain.   Wire is .9999999..  for all those.
>
>Is common wire really THAT close (.9999999..) to 1.0?
>I always assumed that wire losses were more than that.
>Or does that require superconductors?

Not quite but compared to many other things unless second order effects
are important it's practical to use 1.  Mostly as what you put in is
what out get out for small systems at low curents and moderatly low
frequencies.  At grid tranmission line currents and distances even
that .000001 part is significant.

At RF, noticable at VHF and higher then the resistivity of the surface
is more important than bulk due to skin effect.
Thats a whole nother can of worms.

Allison