List:       classiccmp
Subject:    RE: Introduction
From:       dwight elvey <dkelvey () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-01 19:57:27

> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 20:45:02 +0200
> From: lehmann@ans-netz.de
> To: cctalk@classiccmp.org
> Subject: Re: Introduction
>
> dwight elvey wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I looked it up. If the pulse for the step is less than 0.5ms it assume
>> the buffered or auto step. I was confusing compensation with the
>> head selects that also change with the ST412 standard.
>> Dwight
>
> Do you know if this changed between ST251(-0) and ST251-1? Because -0
> drives are working but very hard to find - -1 are easier to find.

Hi
 I don't thinks so. as far as I know all ST251's supported auto stepping.
There might be a minor difference when single stepping using the millisecond
timing. As I recall they needed something on the order of 8 or 10 milliseconds.
One might be a little faster.
 When I was playing with mine, the original drive was 6 milliseconds.
Way to fast for the ST251. I then switches to using the auto stepping,
since then the controller didn't need to know anything about the step rate.
As I recall, the WD1000 will use auto stepping if you select 0 for the step
rate.
Dwight